HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Project Rifle
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2004, 08:39 AM
Superpig
Typical Buck

Default RE: Project Rifle

Have you looked at the Savage synthetic model with the AccuTrigger? The rifle comes pillar bedded and you can adjust the trigger yourself. Out of the box the rifle will more than likely drive tacks. My next door neighbor bought one in 300 WSM. His rifle will shoot under an inch out of the box with Federal Premium ammo. You could also look to the Tikka or Weatherby Vanguard that come with accuracy guarantees. I've been reloading since I was 12 and have only owned a couple of rifles that would not shoot well with reloads I worked up for them. I've never had an action blue printed my usual work consists of adjusting the trigger and bedding the action. If for some reason the rifle doesn't shoot well sale it and buy another. From what I hear you will get the accuracy you want from the Savage. Use the $600 you have left from your $1000 and put all that money into a scope and quality mounts. You will have a rifle that will last a lifetime. I do agree with others that the Howa/Weatherby Vanguard action is one of the best on the market. I once lived in a small town and the local gunsmith built custom rifles all with Howa actions and he provided an accuracy guarantee with all of his rifles. I got to know him and he bought the action but a Douglas barrel on it and put it in a Bell & Carlson stock. He adjusted the triggers and bedded the action. He said in about 6 years of doing so he only had one rifle returned because it wasn't accurate. He claimed the barrel was bad, replaced the barrel and the guy was satisfied.