HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Project Rifle
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2004, 07:23 PM
oldelkhunter
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Project Rifle

You have to add some for the trigger guard and floorplate ..probably 5-6 ounces and the stock should weigh about 10 ounces less then what you have..I can't imagine more then 6 1/2 -6 3/4lbs max...add a good lightweight scope and your talking 7 1/2 lbs which is about right you don't want it any lighter then that with a 270wsm. As far as accurizing are you talking the usual "lapping lugs """ yada yada yada ? Only accurizing I know is to twist off your barrel lap the lugs square off the front of the reciever and true up the bolt face...at that point you might as well throw away the 10 dollar barrel winchester puts on it and put on a custom..now your talking 500-600. Another alternative is a Weatherby vanguard in 270 wsm ..short action ..the action is 100 x better then the CRPF Winchester uses better extractor better gas handling..trigger won't be as easy to adjust but the price is the same. Comes with real bottom metal and you can put it in a high tech stock. Your local dealer will have them as will Walmart and look at the test target that comes with the gun to get an idea of its accuracy "POTENTIAL ONLY". In a high tech stock it should finish out the same as the Winchester but I am betting the action is square and the barrel is better. Let me know how it turns out. I have had a Super Shadow and now Own a Howa/WEatherby in a short mag. I originally assumed you wanted a Winchester rifle and pointed you in that direction.