HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Pellet for squirrel and rabbit?
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2004, 06:08 PM
zak123

Default RE: Best Pellet for squirrel and rabbit?

The fps on the box is deceiving. They shoot the gun with the lightest pellet possible. I doubt you are shooting that pellet. Using a heavier pellet will slow the gun down. I have a .22 pellet gun that has been tested at about 700 fps. I wrote an artical about pellet choice. I would recommend a wadcutter (flat nose) pellet. Coming in a close second are the hollow points. I would not use the pointed or dome topped pellets. Pointed pellets tend to plain. Also when they hit, they do not do much damage. They make a clean little hole. It is the same way with a dome topped pellet. A hollow point pellet is a good choice, but they are not very accurate. They also tend to catch some wind and slow down. When the pellet hits, it expands causing a massive wound. A hollow point pellet is a good choice if your gun is accurate with them. The wadcutter pellets are more accurate and also leave a massive wound. When the bullet hits, it flattens out and does some damage. I would recommend a wadcutter pellet.