HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 8x42 or 10x42
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2004, 10:48 AM
PABowhntr
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 8x42 or 10x42

Something else to consider with 8x versus 10x is the depth of field that is in focus at any one time. With an 8x binocular more areas seem to be in focus at any given distance. For example, lets say that you are looking at a buck 20 yards away and then notice that another deer walks behind the first one about 30 yards distant. With an 8x binocular the chances are that you will not have to refocus on that second buck or that you will only have to slightly refocus. With a 10x binocular you are most definitely going to have to.

I am somewhat torn. I have a 10x42 Nikon and an 8x32 Bushnell..both of which I am very fond of. I like the color of the image produced by the Nikon a bit better but the Bushnell's overall physical size and the depth of field of focus really appeals to me as well. If I had to choose just once magnification/objective combination then it would be an 8x42. Excellent transmitted light levels because of the exit pupil, a wide field of view (in most cases) and great depth of field focus.

One great website to check out is www.betterviewdesired.com .