HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 10x or 12x scope for deer hunting?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2004, 09:39 AM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: 10x or 12x scope for deer hunting?

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you remember to keep the power cranked down until you need it. If something is far enough away that you need the extra power, you should have time to turn it up. And if you keep it turned down all the time it will be easier to get on target if something comes in closer and you have to make a fast shot.

Also keep in mind that the higher the magnifacation you get, the better the scope you will need in order for it to look good. Plus it may effect your eye relief and the clarity or brightness of the scope. Not to mention the higher the power the harder it is to keep steady while you are aiming.

I had a 3.5x10 for a while, and it worked well if I was hunting out of a blind over a larger open area. I also used to have a 1.5x4 bushnell trophy (I think that was the power range? it was low anyway), that thing was great for wooded areas and dim lighting. Good field of view for getting on the target fast and it was very clear and bright in any light conditions.

I would say it depends on what type of hunting you will be doing and the distances you will be shooting. I personally would feel a bit under powered with the Trophy for a 400 yard shot, but I can't imagine me ever taking that long of a shot any way. Where I hunt in michigan 150 yards would be a fairly long shot.

Paul