HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Should I use an outfitter? (PLEASE READ)
Old 12-03-2004, 10:57 AM
jpm8920
Fork Horn

Default RE: Should I use an outfitter? (PLEASE READ)

Well I hunt in NY and all the land I hunt is private, but a couple of years ago me, my bro, my pop, and some of the guys we hunt with all went with a guide service and none of us regretted it. We used Virginia Guide Service. Most of us shot deer, only one guy got a real bruiser, but the atmosphere at the place was great. The lodge was nice, and they feed you like your going to the chair. We chose that guide because they were close enough for everyone to drive which cut down on cost, and they offered a 3 day hunt, this way even the guys with work restrictions could go. I know it is not for everyone, but we absolutley loved it.

A friend of mine has three guys with him that all go a Rainbow Outfitters in Manitoba every year. The deer he comes back with are out of this world, but this is a week long hunt and much more expensive. It is also a fair chase type hunt. Nothing is gauraunteed, and there are years where the group hasn't done so well. Also you stay on stand dark to dark in weather that can go down to -20F. So it is still no easy hunt.

I say try to get permission to hunt on private land anyway, cause you need somewhere near home to hunt, but don't let anybody put you down for using a guide. It was a great experience for me and probably could be for you too.