HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My Girlfriends First Kansas Deer Kill (Pic)
Old 12-03-2004, 09:21 AM
kshunter
Nontypical Buck

Default My Girlfriends First Kansas Deer Kill (Pic)

Yesterday evening, I took my girlfriend out hunting. She has never shot a rifle in her life and unfortunately we didn't have time to practice before the hunt, but we did practice holding and looking through it. We've shot a lot of bluerock(about 80 shots herself) with shotguns, which she did fine, so I was confident she could hit a large non-movingtarget with her using my Rem. 700 VLS with Black-diamond scope and bipod, which made it nice and steady.

She had to barrow some of my orange and hunting clothes. During the whole hunt I was trying to teach and coach her on how things were to be done and done with safety, and she did well. One of my hunting spots has with a lot of nice bucks which always seem to stay right out of range of my bow so far.

So yesterday, we watched a group of deer out in the middle, and after a few minutes of watching one good buck, she had the one she wanted at about 150 yards. She pulled the trigger and my .308 target rifle dropped him. He is about 18-19" wide, with about 11-12" tines, 8 pt. frame with a kicker on the right burr, and a broken-kicker on the left G-2. It's not a monster but deffinately a nice deer for a first deer and first animal kill ever. I've never seen her so excited in her life, and she says she can't wait for January to go shoot a doe. She said she finally realized why I'm so hooked, and couldn't beleive the rush she had, with her heart pounding a hundred miles a minute. It was probably the best hunt of the year.