HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Should I use an outfitter? (PLEASE READ)
Old 12-03-2004, 08:57 AM
ButchA
Giant Nontypical

Default Should I use an outfitter? (PLEASE READ)

Hey there....

I just want to ask if anyone has ever used an outfitter or guide service or whatever. I'm curious, that's all. I am interested mostly for next season, since this season has only about a month left.

See, {please don't take this like I am whining or b*tching or whatever} I have been hunting for only 3 years and don't have any private land or "farmers permisson", or heck - worse yet, none of my closest friends hunt. So, I have just been going at it alone on public WMA's and state forests.

This year I decided to say, "well, 3rd time's a charm" and went all out, go for broke, hunting every chance I could get. I even documented my hunts in a spreadsheet/html file (uploaded to my website - see my signature and click on it).
Or click here: http://members.aol.com/ammonc/Hunting-log.html

I hunt in Cumberland State Forest here in Virginia and sometimes the nearby WMA's during the week too. I'm sorry, but, I don't mean nothing.... but, the public WMA's on a Saturday during firearms season? They are a $*#&%!@ JOKE!!! [:@] I mean they are just downright sad. There is a constant "parade" of blaze orange on every trail! Even if you go in deep and way off the beaten path, you'll still bump into somone with the same idea that you have.

I know.... I know.... It's called HUNTING. It's not called KILLING. I mean, I have put my time in. I have learned from everyone on this board. I have read everything I can get my hands on. I have watched videos and DVD's. SOMETHING HAS JUST GOT TO GO RIGHT FOR ME! I am still kicking myself for missing that 8 pointer during bow season!! [&:][&o]

Anyway, enough ranting, complaining, whining, whatever you call it. I just need that perfect opportunity, that's all. That's why I am considering using an outfitter and shelling out $$$$$ for a few days. But are outfitters and guide services worth it? Are they viewed as "canned hunts" with high fences?

Straight to the point: If you don't have a place of your own or don't have any private land, and are waaaaaaaaay too frustrated, what would you do? Would you consider using an outfitter?

Thanks....

Butch A.