HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How To Build A Ground Blind For Deer ?
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2004, 05:20 AM
joshtribe

Default RE: How To Build A Ground Blind For Deer ?

It just so happens that I finished building mine yesterday. I've read what others have said about getting it out there early to give the deer time to get used to the idea, but I wasn't able to get out and get mine done until now....gun season starts in 3 days. I figured this was a real problem, getting it out so late, so I worked on it for four hours in 36 degree weather, a 40 mph wind, and a cold, driving rain. The neighbors must have thought I was a crazy man.

Anyway, here is how I designed it. Remember, I'm a novice at this, so whatever I do, do the opposite...hehe.

First I took six metal fence posts and drove them in forming am 8 x 4 ft. rectangle, room for two hunters. Then I wired logs and twigs that I found lying around the woods until I had formed a box of wood about 3 feet high. I was sure to use sturdy logs at this point, because I then left a six inch gap all the way around for a gun slit. I built up some more stick on top of this until I reached the tops of the fence posts. We had an old piece of wood panelling that used to be up in the house, so I used it as a roof to keep me dry. Next, I poured a couple bags of hardwood woodchips on the floor because the inside of the blind was turning into a swamp. After taking care of the mud issue, I lined the interior with a camo cloth to cover up any cracks between logs and to keep the wind out. The final step was to stack sticks, branches, logs, and twigs all over and around the blind to give it the appearance of a stick pile.

Here, I'll just upload a picture of it.

Josh