HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer Aren't Dropping
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2004, 08:03 PM
jmfa1957

Default RE: Deer Aren't Dropping

Statjunk, the ONLY deer that ever dropped straight in its tracks for me was the doe I shot in 2002. I hit her right between the eyes with my .243. I must point out hat I do not countenance head shots as a matter of course; this deer was probably about 75 yards out, and I am ABSOLUTELY confident that I can cover a 100 yard three shot group with a quarter with this weapon and this handload.

One of the most memorable experiences in my life is delivering a fatal heart/lung shot on my first deer with a 165 grain .30-06 round. The deer dropped like a sack of potatoes, but then tried to get up, and struggled a bit. It would have died in a minute or tow, but for that deer, it would have been a LOOOONG minute. I admisinstered a head hsot coupe-de-grace. Obviously this was not a very photogenic first kill, but it bothers me to this day that this deer looked me in the eye as it died. It brought home the message that for me to survive, other living things must nourish me, and they deserve as quick and humane an end as can be administered[X(].

Anyway, they all tasted great.