HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best SkS?
Thread: Best SkS?
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2004, 09:08 PM
jmfa1957

Default RE: Best SkS?

ORIGINAL: newguy23

I personally see no reason to own an SKS... If I want to "plink" I will go get at 10/22, if I want to go hunt I will get a "hunting" rifle, which is definately not an SKS!!! It would be at the absolute bottom of my list in guns which one should own!
As they say, different strokes for different folks. I don't own an SKS either; I passed up many of them when they were a hundred bucks for a new unissued SKS, but lots of people find enjoyment in owning, collecting and shooting them. Others have passions for handguns, cowboy-style guns, blackpowder guns, and lots of other thinsg I don't care for.

My personal passion used to be ex-military bolt action rifles, with heavy emphasis on anything Paul Mauser had a hand in designing. Lots of folks are bored silly with these. My tastes have now migrated to bolt action hunting rifles.

My only point here is that as gun owners who cherish our firearms rights, we should not disparage one another for our differing tastes. Dividing guns into Good (for now) and Bad is a very effective tactic to whittle away at our firearms rights. The right to keep and bear arms has more to do with military uses of firearms than it does for sporting uses, and I see no reason to empower the gun haters with divisions amongst ourselves. One "should" own whichever gun suits one's tastes, shouldn't one?