HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scored in Missouri Pic and Story
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Mantis Mayer
Typical Buck

Default Scored in Missouri Pic and Story

Let me take you back into August. A Co-worker and I were at work watching the Outdoor channel when he looks back to me and says “lets go hunt deer out of state this year!” I said, “If your serious I’ll get the whole thing rolling and planned for us.” Now fast-forward to the 29th of October, my father and I in one vehicle, the Co-worker and his brother in the other. Motors humming as we speed threw five states on our way to North Eastern Missouri, our first ever deer hunt outside NY lines. This is all do-it-yourself public land hunting with mixed expectations and high hopes. The first couple days consisted of scouting and trying to figure out this VERY different landscape. Rolling slopes, cut ravines every 20yds, oak trees abound. We were floored at the foreign topography. On the 1st of November I settled into a tree along a creek bottom with many trails entering a cornfield I just happened to stubble upon. The night would only yield to me a familiar hillside rising along the backside of the field opposite my position. Finally something I can relate too out here! With map and compass in hand I planned my morning hunt from the tree stand that night. As the light began to filter threw the clouds that morning I couldn’t believe it was just as I pictured it, well close enough anyway. I quickly cut towards the right and down the rim of the ridge that if I walked to far would take me to the corner of the cornfield. Two strap-on steps and a lock on will get you 20’ in just about any tree out here and that morning was no different. I settled in just in time to watch the sunrays cut the tree line to the east. (Late in retrospect but what can you do) The wind was strong out of the north, just as the weather channel said it would do. Back home with hills abound you can’t count on stuff like that but it seemed quite predictable out here. At 7:15 I caught movement below me. I raised my binoculars but couldn’t find it so I let down and once again it showed for a second time. At 75 yards I new it was a deer but wasn’t sure what. It was moving slow but heading downwind so I quickly gave a couple grunts. It cut strait to me and started to trot so I stood and readied my bow. He moved with a purpose, raking his rack on saplings as he swayed with heavy steps. I drew as he closed in to 15 yards. He was cutting downwind of my stand and at 8yds I sent the Easton ACC Muzzy combination racing threw both lungs before he ever knew he’d been had. I watched as he cut down the draw and up the small rise behind me. He gave one quick look back, began sidestepping and continuing down the next ravine. I called my father on the radio with great excitement and we met up after ½ hour to retrieve the downed buck. To my surprise it made it one more ravine over for a total of maybe 100yds. A main frame 8 with 10 score able points and if you ask me it’s an 11 point. What a great prize for all the hard work put into planning this hunt. Unfortunately although everyone saw shooter bucks, no one else scored but everyone had a great time. Thanks to all the Missouri boys who responded to my questions and a special thanks to Mark a.k.a. Antler Addict for sending me maps and information that proved extremely beneficial towards the hunt. This website is a better place with guys like him in it.

GO TEAM 21