HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 5 BIGGEST BLOODTRAILING BLUNDERS!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2004, 09:53 AM
atlasman

Default RE: 5 BIGGEST BLOODTRAILING BLUNDERS!!!

I think your list is pretty solid. I would only add that NO MATTER WHAT.......your BEST chance to find your deer is by sticking with the blood trail. The temptation to just start doing random walking grid searches is always there........especially if you have a couple guys. Everyone just figures with 3 or 4 guys walking all over the place someone is bound to walk up on him. Lots of times that's true but if you don't find him you have just destroyed the area and in all likelihood blew your chance of finding him. Stick with the blood!!! Your deer is at the end of that trail.

Also..........know your blood signs. Know what lung blood looks like vs. liver vs stomach etc.

The buck I killed this year was so much fun because he went EXACTLY like I would hope for. I shot him behind the shoulder......saw the hit looked good......woods was thick so all I had was my ears........heard him run for a few seconds and then crash to the ground........still left him for an hour before picking up the trail......nice blood bright and bubbly......drops at first and then heavier on the ground and spraying out sideways on small trees.........blood became steady stream and that is when I looked up to see his white belly about 30 yards ahead

My goal this year was good blood trail to follow if I was lucky enough to get a shot. I really believe my 4 blade Magnus Stingers played a large role in giving me that good blood to follow.

Don't play games with your broadheads. Just be honest with yourself and shoot what gives YOU the BEST chance at a complete passthrough because 2 holes are way better then 1.

I used the toilet paper markers in the past as well and that was a TREMENDOUS help in finding a deer I shot in the rain.

BTW......tell everyone you know to call you if they need help. Nothing beats following a REAL blood trail for learning what to look for. If your buddy shoots one follow the trail even if he already has the deer. First hand experience prepares you like nothing else can.