HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What did you start with?
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2004, 02:44 PM
mjqood0

Default RE: What did you start with?

None of the pro shops around here are going to let me try rests / sights...

Sights are easier. You should be able to hold them up and look through them. Basically, hold a few up to your eye and get a feel for how they do / don't block the target (I like the verticle pins of the Trophy Ridge Matrix personally since it doens't block the front / back of a deer i'm looking at). Fiber optics are pretty good these days, so you really don't have to worry too much about that.

Rests are a pain. Even the best rest takes some adjusting and they tend to be very personal choices. I know the whisker biscuit looks like it would really mess up an arrow's flight, but in actuality, they are quite accurate. They can sometimes be a pain to tune, but if you get a good pro shop, they will have you shoot it a few times to make sure everything is lined up. Then you can paper tune or bare shaft tune to fine tune everything. Not too bad really. It just sounds hard.

One of the big benefits to the whisker biscuit is that it's not too expensive (A drop zone is around $99) so if you don't like it you can shoot it for a year and switch without feeling too guilty.

Good luck!