HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A review of the gear I have
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2004, 11:55 AM
mjqood0

Default RE: A review of the gear I have

I'm so excited to actually see reviews in the review section! I just have to post my gear too!

Bow
Currently shooting a Browning Ambush XB at 70 lbs. While I got this used a year ago, it's been a great value. Not necessarly the best bow around, but quiet and fast enough for up to 25yard shots with little drop. Overall, I like getting a less expensive bow and the nice accessories and upgrading the bow later. Overall, very so far, so good.

Release
I just upgraded to a Scott Little Goose this year. I love it. I just posted a full review of it (which received very little comment -- actually, none) here. --> My Release Review

Rest
DropZone. Had the rope break on this, but the pro shop was able to fix it quickly with no real problems. So far, so good. I switched from a whisker bisquit and really liked it, but the DZ fixed several clearance problems I was having. We'll see over time how it holds up.

Sight
Trophy Ridge Micro Matrix. So far, I like this sight. The 0.19 pins are nice and small and do not cover the target as much as my old ones. Seems to gather light well. I like not needing wrenches to adjust since it uses thumb screws. Also like that the thumb screws have allen wrench holes in the middle to really tighten the bugger down when you have it where you want it. So far, it's holding up, but for the price, I was expecting a little less plastic if you know what I mean. The pins are metal, so that's good I suppose.

Arrows
I'm using Whitetail Hunter arrows from Gander Mtn. They are really re-badged carbon express hunter arrows for less money. They have the "BuffTuff" finish on them which I like. They seem to hold up to target / 3d shooting really well. My grouping are good, but not as good as my old aluminum XX75s. Not bad for a cheap arrow.
I'm currently shooting 125gr Muzzy 3 blade heads. Durable, simple. What more could you want?

Stabilizer
I have one of the old Quiet Tune stabilizers. It performs far better than I imagined and I can really tell a difference when I remove it. Reduces vibration a lot and also provides about the perfect counter weight at 8oz. Plus, it's very compact and not in the way when hunting from a tree. I highly recommend these, but havn't seen them around for a while.

Target
Currently using a round hay bale. Works great, very cheap as the neighbors are farmers. When I shoot one up good, I just have them change it out for another. A real good idea if anyone has access...

Scents / Calls
I got some of the Fresh Earth wafers this year to put in with my clothes when I'm not wearing them. Seems to really work well. No attractant scents have really done anything noticeable for me, nor have my grunt or "The Keg". THey don't seem to spook the deer, but they don't seem to interest them either. The verdict is still out on these.

Camo
I just got some of the waterproof gander mountian camo this year. I think it's Guide Series brand or something. I only got the parka, but man, I highly recommend it. For the price, you can't beat it. Plus, it's got a soft texture that is quite quiet -- and the waterproof is really nice. Another great bargain.

Other than that, I don't have any noteworthy equipment. This thread is great! Keep the reviews coming!