HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - WSFS Why burn now?
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004, 03:27 PM
LeeMe

Default RE: WSFS Why burn now?

ELK101,

Yup, Thats me. I am the younger fella of the 2 that came to your camp. Small (internet) world!!!!!!

The first spike was taken by another hunter in our camp the day after you left. Right down the road at the Cougar Flats camp ground. We were actually driving out at sun-up to go to the 1706 and had a cow cross the road in front of us there. We stopped and 2 of us went off road on the river side and the other 2 went into the woods on the other side. We bugled a few times and this crazy bull came right in to us. He would run in large circles all around us bugling like crazy. Well one of the fellas had went about 200 yds into the woods and was listening to this crazy bull when he heard something behind him. It was a spike at 50yds. BOOM! Meat on the ground.

I shot the other spike on Friday, the last day of the season. On Thursday afternoon we had walked across the road from our camp to that small field. We walked in and followed a trail about 1/3 mile up the ridge. There we found a small clover clearing and we bugled a few times and heard nothing. After 30 or so minutes we decided to head back to camp as it was getting late. We had only went 20yds from the clearing when we walked into 2 cows. That next morning we got up well before sun-up and went back to this same little clover clearing up the ridge. At sun-up, on the very first bugle we got an answer from this spike and he was VERY close. He came right in and I blasted him. More meat on the ground.

I guess it boils down to being in the right place at the right time. In other words "Dumb luck"!

Take care,
Lee