HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Big Buck Contest...Baby Bucks
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2004, 08:58 AM
Stump_MN_Hunter

Default RE: Big Buck Contest...Baby Bucks

I am lucky about where I live and the deer I hunt but again, I knocked on lots of doors and had many slammed in my face before I found a place to hunt.
Wolfen, You aren't the only guy that is working hard at getting good land to hunt to offer the opportunities to hunt big deer, trying to learn about deer, their patterns and their behaviors. But for a person to have be able to hunt big bucks, apply QDM to your area and in regards to your hunting practices.....you have to have big bucks in the area to start. That's a fact!! And not just 1, 2 or 3 in your immediate area either.

3 years ago I had ample private land and very rarely did I hunt the same stand more than 5 times in a season that ran from the middle of Sept to the end of Dec. And I hunt atleast a morning and an evening a weekend throughout the whole season. Those land opps are falling faster that I can even stand to see. Now I'm down to one 40 acre plot that is going to be sold within the next couple of years for developement. For the last 3 years, I've gotten out plat books, did my homework and research for and on good areas and have knocked on...count em!!...38 doors to only get doors slammed, eyes rolled, all the way to laughs in my face. Anything you can about imagine. Luck does not only go as far as having big deer in your area that walk in front of you, but also the land you are able to hunt. You are lucky. That's not a rip on you, but just eludes to the fact that you are lucky with your opporunities. This is my 6th year bowhunting and I haven't shot a buck yet because of the standards I have set in regards to the bucks I'd "like" to shoot. But to be honest, the whole idea is getting very old and I'm starting to rethink everything. How long do I have to go to get a crack at a 140"+ deer? A dang long time with the land I hunt. Yes...even up here in MN.