HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My girlfriends uncle thinks hunting is wrong
Old 10-06-2004, 07:28 AM
Moose_Maximus

Default RE: My girlfriends uncle thinks hunting is wrong

My father, who was raised in the city, never approved of my going hunting. But he was always a gentleman, and never really tried to talk me out of it.

I can understand why people are opposed to hunting--on the surface, they (birds or deer or whatever) are just innocent creatures making their way through the world, same as you or I. And most of them are darned cute, too.

But looking more closely, there's more than sentiment involved. On a recent trip through Wisconsin, I saw literally dozens or road-kill deer. That just depressed me. Hunters work for a clean kill, and eat what they shoot. A deer wounded by a car dies a terrible death, and the carcass is left to rot. Plus, the driver of the vehicle may have been seriously injured or killed.

What's "humane" about that?

Seeing an animal die (let alone causing that death) is a moving experience; one minute, the animal is alive, and the next, it isn't. But life is like that. Anyone who doesn't think so is kidding himself.