HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Results from spine-tuned arrows
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2004, 07:26 AM
Straightarrow

Default RE: Results from spine-tuned arrows

I see that you decided to use an over-spined arrow. Was there a reason for this?
In my opinion, a 125 gr tip on a 29" shaft at 65 lbs is borderline for a 5575. I know their chart says otherwise, but I've bareshaft tested them many times and this is the area where 5575's start flying as a weak shaft in my testing. When shooting a broadhead, I prefer to be on the stiff side, which seems to be more forgiving. I've noticed when checking spine, that the weakest arrow and the stiffest arrow were quite far apart. The weakest measured approx. .340 and the strongest was .315. With a difference this great, I suspect a wider group in a borderline spine situation.

Did you spin-test your arrows?
Yes, but I'm not sure how to do this properly. I have an Arizona Archer Arrow Straightener, that I can test the straightness with, but it's over a relatively short span. These actually tested as much straighter than specs, but like I said, I don't know how the specs are obtained.

Did you cut some lenght off the nock end before you cut-to-length?
Yes, and this is something I've just recently started doing (because of advise on this forum). This may have also positively affected my results and may have been one of the reasons I had to cull so many arrows in the past.

Did you check the arrows for consistent weight?
Yes, and a couple were not within specs, but were close. I forgot to mark which ones, and they are still in the dozen.

Did you use a Hooter Shooter?
Nope, wish I had one, but I had to rely on the results obtained from my inconsistent shooting. This is why I will try to shoot them a lot over the next couple weeks, to see if I notice any significant changes.

Are you going to test again on a non-windy day?
Well, I've have to see if the wind stops blowing. I can shoot up to 30 yards indoor at the local range, but the longer shots will have to wait for more co-operative weather.

Do you plan to test other arrows?
I doubt I'll buy any others for a few months. I frequently work on friend's equipment, so I'm going to spread the word that I'm willing to spine test, and build their arrows, if they'll allow some broadhead testing with them. I'll have to see what happens on this.

Just a few questions that crossed my mind.
I appreciate the interest and invite any input you have.