HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2 Way Radio's....What's your preference?
Old 09-30-2004, 12:37 PM
PABowhntr
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 2 Way Radio's....What's your preference?

I have owned quite a few of the FRS and GMRS consumer grade radios in recent years. In my opinion, the Motorola models generally give you more for your money and are more durable over all than the others that I have tried.

Some things about FRS/GMRS radios though....

1. Don't believe the distance claims. They are made under "ideal conditions" meaning flat ground with no obstructions between the units. If you hunt in hilly terrain or are going to use it inside a truck, etc.. then expect a significant decrease in transmitting distance

1a. Along that same line of thinking, FRS and GMRS radios do not significantly increase transmitting range because of power under less than ideal conditions. A 3 watt GMRS unit will not be significantly more powerful in terms of transmitting distance in comparison to a .5 watt FRS unit. This is directly the result of the type of radio frequency that both of these units utilize...UHF.

1b. The only ways to drastically increase range is to either move to an elevated location or get one of the GMRS units that allows you to remove the stock antenna and utilize a more efficient one. However, most FRS and GMRS units come with what is commonly referred to as a "rubber duck" antenna that is unremoveable.

My suggestion would be to find a decent 1 watt or . 5 watt unit that is about $50-$100 less than the latest 3 watt unit. Take a look at the various features offered. Here are a few I have found to be handy in different situations....

- earbud attachment for quiet contact between units

- a vibration feature to also allow quiet contact between units

- scan mode to listen for other hunters in the area

- Multiple channels so that you can always find one that is being unused

One more interesting tidbit, GMRS radio users are required by law to obtain a license from the FCC to operate these units. FRS radios do not require a license.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.