HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Explain this to me?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2004, 08:38 AM
Carwi

Default RE: Explain this to me?

If you want to see how well your tune is simply put a larger bladed broahead on and shoot them. It's definitlely opened my eyes a time or two! Bees made a good point. The Muzzy 3 blade is 3/16th of an inch wider. Here are a few questions about your setup:

1. Are your 3 blade Muzzy's grouping well or are the groups erratic or very large? Errors in form, wide grain variances in arrows, shaft straightness, and arrow wobble greatly exaggerate group size!
2. What is your bow weight vs your arrow spine..correct spined arrows?

When shooting broadheads it really pays to spin them and get all the wobble out. I also weigh each arrow assembled with my hunting broadheads and pick the ones that are less than 1 grain in variation. Make sure your nocks are aligned on the shaft as well and pay special attention to the fletching for wobble as well. Remember that paper tuning is only a starting point. I almost always have to move my rest after I get bullets holes in paper when I group tune and tune my broadheads to shoot with my field tips. Here's something to think about: On my bow a movement of the rest or nock set of 1/32" will move my broadhead group 1.25" @ 30yds! That is why I get my broadheads and field tips together at 30yds then move to 60, 70, and even 80yds to micro tune (although this is really not necessary unless you just want to). If you want to shoot the Muzzy 3 blades make sure your broadhead group is tight first. Then move your nock point and rest to get them together. On a side note, I still shoot bullet holes after setting my broadheads with my field tips. I cannot tell which is more of a bullet hole than the other. That is why I do not trust paper tuning as a "final" tune setup. Select proper arrows for your setup, check your arrows for variances and wobble, paper tune, group tune as far as your capable, then tune your broadheaded arrows to your field tipped arrows as far as you are capable. Those procedures will allow you to shoot any broadhead you want....sorry for the long post!

Another side note: While on the subject of tuning, the best thing a person can do to improve their groups is Practice, Practice, Practice, then Practice some more! It's too easy to get caught up in tinkering with a bow and neglect the best thing a person can do and that is to practice shooting and working on form and release.