HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mule deer rare...whitetails everywhere!
Old 09-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Hiawatha

Default RE: Mule deer rare...whitetails everywhere!

Can't really say i have been in the same dilemma JD. But i do not hunt mule deer in alot of different areas. Skeeter would probably be a better man to check with (think he got drawn). I got out 2 days for archery mule deer. I am going to University of Sask so i was hunting them just south of saskatoon after class. First night i went out i had 5 dandy bucks come in but one was always looking at me so i was reluctant to draw, didn't matter they went down wind and busted me anyways. I hunted that same spot 3 days later and had 3 smaller bucks come in. I picked out the biggest one and sent an arrow through him. Was only a 3x4 but i was happy with him. Once i get the filmed used up i will post pics. For that spot i usually only see mulies, but i have only hunted this area 2 years. I seen one whitetail doe with 2 fawns hanging around but thats bout it. Where i whitetail hunt 3 hours north east of saskatoon we usually only have whitetails, however there seem to be more and more mule deer showing up in that area each year. As a kid i never saw a mule deer, now i see at least 3 or 4 a year back home. I have heard from different folks that the mules push out the whitetail, and yet others swear its the other way around. So i guess my situation is developing opposite from yours. Good luck to ya on that mule deer Jd, let us know how it goes.