HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 300 yard Sight In for a 300 Win Mag
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2004, 04:50 AM
HighDesertWolf
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 300 yard Sight In for a 300 Win Mag

welll....... according to a ballistics program I have, to be dead on at 300 yards with a 180 grain bullet from a 300 WM you would need to be 3.97 inches high at 100 yards, But also according to the ballistics program even zeroed at 300 yards puts you 30.65 inches low at 500 yards. these ballistics programs are not entirely accurate but they are pretty close atleast gives a general idea. A few days ago I was shooting with a friend I was shooting a 308 he was shooting a 338 WM with a 210 grain nosler partition we were shooting at target set at 300 yards that day we had a 20 mph crosswind my friend was experiencing about a foot of wind drift with my 308 I was shooting 165 grain BTHP Gamekings and was experiencing slightly less drift but still close to a foot I suppose on a elk size target give or take a foot to the right or left may not keep you from hitting it. I dont know where you are hunting but I know here in arizona the elk are mostly in higher elevation and a 20 mph crosswind is pretty common especially going into fall/winter. According to my ballistics program it show 2 feet of wind drift at 500 yards with a 20 mph crosswind with your 300 WM and a 180 grain bullet. 2 feet could mean a miss or turn a shoulder shot into a gut shot if you are not confident of your marksmanship at that kind of range do yourself and the animal a favor dont risk just wounding it, especially a 500 yard shot is difficult enough if you dont have a fatal shot and the animal begins to run....... shooting a elk running 20 mph at 500 yards is darn near impossible if you do hit it running I would tend to lean towards luck more then skill.