HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bow for a beginner (without the marketing hype)
Old 09-09-2004, 01:40 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow for a beginner (without the marketing hype)

As a beginning archer, find a reputable pro/tech and have him set it up so that it fit's you. Be willing to pay him for his time and talent, and in the long run you'll be very glad you did.
I intend to, as I don't know diddly about setting up a bow at this point. Part of the archery departments deal is that they will install all accessories and tune new bows for free when you buy the bow there. I'm going to let them do just that and see how the bow shoots. They have a shooting lane there and I believe that they also paper tune the bows there.

Now I just have to figure out what accessories I'm going to put on it. I'm thinking about a whisker biscuit rest, string loop, peep sight, a short stabilizer with some type of sound dampener (the bow doesn't need much from what I can tell). As for the type of sight, I don't even know where to start. Probably just a basic three pin fiber-optic sight. I have a wrist release already. I'll probably also have them put on a string silencer (Limbsaver?) too. I'm undecided on the type of arrows to use. Carbons seem pricy, but the aluminum arrows seem to get bent and damaged easy, so I'm not sure which to try. Eventually I think I'll use Muzzy fixed three blade broadheads. I'm not really looking for anything fancy, and the Muzzy's seem to have a great reputation.

I just hope this sport becomes less confusing after one gets some experience with all the options available.

Mike