HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - speed questions
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2004, 04:34 PM
G2 Shooter

Default RE: speed questions

The IBO ratings on bows is very misleading to what you can safely get with a hunting arrow. That speed is calculated using a 30" arrow at 5 grains/pound with the bow set to it's maximum draw weight. Even then, I have not seen many bows reach their advertised IBO rating. In your case, that would be a 300 grain arrow. Flying at 300 fps would give you around 60 ft/lbs of energy but would probably destroy your bow in a few shots. Some bows also have a minimum arrow weight posted on the limbs. Many times that min weight is heavier than the arrow they use to achieve the IBO speed.

Your arrows are pretty heavy. Carbon Express advertises 11 grains per inch for the 4560's. You can try a lighter arrow and if you can get a total arrow weight around 350 grains (6 grains/pound), and a speed of 250, that would give you the same KE but with a faster arrow. I wouldn't go any lighter than that.

With all of that being said, I would pull off the tube peep and put on a hunter peep. You just have to make sure that it is aligned with your eye at full draw. Get rid of the brass nock. I just use the string loop. It gets tight enough on the serving so that it won't move. I would not try a lighter broadhead as that would probably mess up you FOC. After that, measure your arrow speed with and without the string leaches installed. See if you gain any fps. If you do, decide whether the speed is worth any additional noise from the bow. The only other possible factor is what rest you are using. Whisker Biscuits rob you of a few fps also. If you are using a WB, you will have to decide if the speed loss is worth the convienence of having an enclosed rest.

Just my 2-1/2 cents,
Steve