HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Light vs Average weight hunting rifles
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2004, 07:34 AM
Steven Ashe

Default RE: Light vs Average weight hunting rifles

I pondered the idea of getting one of those ultra light big game rifles, for years. Before I bought one, I got to the age where I limit how much I walk anyway. Ride the horse up to within a half mile of where I want to hunt, tie him off and walk a bit. Scout on the horse. That said, I believe that for a younger hunter, in shape hunter, the light weight, so called "mountain rifle" can be a very good thing. Carrying a lighter rifle certainly does make humping a bit easier. However, you have to treat most light weight rifles a little differently on the range, if you want to maintain accuracy. Most light weight rifles have trimmed "fat" off the barrel and therefore will heat up quicker. At the range, shooting a rifle hot causes rapid barrel erosion. Also, your shot at that trophy will be from a cold barrel. You must learn the discipline, at the range, of firing the cold barrel one time and then waiting 20 minutes before again firing. By doing this, you will find out how that rifle will shoot cold, which is again, the way it will be when you have that once in a lifetime chance at a world class trophy "whatever". Easiest way to maintain that "cold barrel shots only" discipline, is to take at least two other rifles to the range and play with them during the waiting period. Even if you shoot slow fire with a hunting rifle, shot strings will change the point of impact as the barrel heats up, this is amplified when you are using a light weight rifle. The second big issue, is whether that ultra light will settle enough, in your hands, to get an accurate shot off. When you are climbing and pumped up, by the sight of game, your heart rate is elevated and you may be breathing in an irregular manner. Consider that a standard weight rifle may feel more stable, then would an ultra light. Try jogging up and down, behind the shooting positions at the range. Jog while carrying some weight and do that until you feel a bit fatigued. Then, go to the shooting position and take a target under fire. Is it difficult to get the rifle steady, after you have worked a bit? Do you see any difference in the way a standard weight rifle settles down on target, as opposed to the way an ultra light rifle settles down? How these questions are answered may help you to decide whether the ultra light rifle is for you, or not!