HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 16 GAUGE WHO LOVES IT?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2002, 08:05 AM
Mr. 16 gauge

Default RE: 16 GAUGE WHO LOVES IT?

I think that my name says it all....and there is NOTHING wrong with the 16 gauge; as a matter of fact, it it probably the perfect upland gauge.
I have three: Remington model 11, Ithica M37, and a Stoeger SxS. With bismuth shot, the gauge is perfectly capable of taking ducks over decoys with NO problem.
I think two things help lead to the "demise" of the 16 gauge: the 3" 20 gauge hull, which was advertised to be "as good as the 12 gauge" (but those of us who know about shot stringing know better), and the intrest of the firearms manufacturers to save money by mounting 16 gauge barrels on 12 gauge frames...no weight savings, so why bother? Go with the 12, or if you want a lighter gun, go with a 20.
If you want an O/U in this gauge, there are a couple of imported models that are relatively inexpensive and should make great feild guns; even the wife can't complain about the price!
Coot;
Where did you get your information on the 3" 16 gauge in the Winchester 21? All my references say there was no three inch 16 gauge. You have my curiousity piqued.