Community
6mm’s & Quarter Bores Includes centerfire factory and wildcat cartridges from .243 to .277 that can be used for small game, predators and varmints as well as larger game.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking 243

I got my Remington 700 in 243 in Oct. 1974. My brother and I were out at our back yard range shooting our Winchester Model 100's single shot style. A huge bang and a cloud of dust rose up around my brother and I see his jeans smoking around his groin area but he plops down on the ground and starts taking his boot off. Short of it is the rifle had blew up into 173 pieces I found after I got him on the way to the ER.

After that I was afraid to shoot mine again so I took it to a gun shop we dealt with. Problem was Deer season was fast approaching so I didn't really have time to wait for a new rifle delivery. He had the Remington 700BDL in 243 used on the shelf. Ray says to take it home with two boxes of shells and try it out to see what you think.

Decided I liked it so bought the dies and stuff to reload for it, Ray suggested a 100gr. round nose bullet above a charge of IMR 4350.
Ya I shot a buck with it that year but was very disappointed in how far it traveled after being hit in a vital area.
So disappointed I hung the buck and drove to the gun shop and ordered the same rifle in 308.

Fast forward to 1979, I had got in a wreck with my Jeep and was so bad I was not allowed to work on my job for two weeks. Setting home with nothing to do as every one else I knew was working.
I went to our favorite gun shop and bought a bunch of bullets in 6mm. Went back home and started reloading in 5 round groups finally settling on a Sierra 85gr. HPBT bullet over IMR 4350 ayt about 2800FPS.
This is my favorite deer rifle today.

Al
Old 12-25-2014, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Was still in high school when I acquired my first 243, was a well used rem. 742, wore it out in not many years, then I got hold of a rem. 600 had a smith tinker with it, put a fiberglass stock on it and it was my deer/varmint/truck gun for several years, there is not much to a 243, put any bullet in front of IMR 4350 and it will do what its sposed to do (make living animals not alive no more)
I now still have that old 600, the barrel is about gone so may use it to build the daughter her long range rifle she wants, I also have my dads belgiam made browning BAR in 243 which I inherited, it will be passed on to her when the time comes.
RR