HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Top Water Popping (TIPS!!!!!)
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2004, 08:02 AM
robdar

Default RE: Top Water Popping (TIPS!!!!!)

I normaly continue a slow retrieve the whole time I am popping...though different conditions and times of year will determine my retrieve. Here's my guaging technique. The first thing is I find poppers to work best in the morning and late evening..in the cooler temps when the fish are little more active...but that does not mean the will not hit it in the middle of the day with the right presentation. If people around me or my boat mate are getting strikes on top water cranks and/or buzz baits or other moderate speed surface lures...this says the fish are active so i will use a continous movement in my retrieve, raising and lower the speed from cast to cast till i find the speed the fish seem to like. One days when the fish seem to be hitting plastics and ignoring other lures...I will slow my retrieve considerably...Pausing between pops and being sure to get good loud pops each time. I was once told by an old timer that when using a popper if the guy across the river cant hear you poppin, you aint poppin right. I have had strikes on both loud and soft pops however. Also on the days when a slow retrieve seems to be the thing...remember to drop in as close to structure as you possibly can...even bumping close surface structure with the lure...POP/bump and wait...POP/bump and wait...
I never used to fish surface lures and poppers were probably my least favorite...until I got the first big pig on one...now I use a popper as my surface lure of choice and try it for at least a little while every time I go out.