HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what grain.....
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2004, 10:43 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what grain.....

man this is getting WIERD........no lie at the range i shot about 15rds of patch n ball and never cleaned or swabbed or anything!!!.....it got a little tougher to load...but not much at all....wonder how many i could went for lol....i think if youd see my TC hawken youd be even more jealous........its a TC mauser06 custom now......first this was i added TC fiberoptic click adjusting sights...front and rear.....then i refinished the stock with truoil....they had on a clear coat that looked and felt like plastic...and turned white where i dinged it....that came out nice....then i wanted a sling but didnt want a lace up because it would cover my patch box and eveyrthing so i drilled the stock and put a stud in and bought a thimble that takes a stud for a sling and put a sling on.....then the brass was too bright while hunting....so i used brass black to turn all the brass a cold steel looking black...i love the look of that.....and the traditional hawkens were steel not brass from what ive read.....brass was to shiny for my likings anyway....then i put in a new touchole with a nice cone..i had an old one that was just a hole that you put in with a screwdriver not an allen key like the new ones....then i worked a lyman frizzen to my lock...i heard they last longer and spark better.....only thing i didnt touch was the blued metal and the inside of the bore.....ill eventually brown the metal i think......all of it...the brass too...since the brass black polishes off if you want to......but not yet....my bluing isnt too bad....i bought the rifle used for like 235 or something....i did put a little bit of money into it....probably 150 or so....sites frizzen sling kit ect cost a little.....it has a wierd look to it because the sling and fiberoptics....but they are there for usefullness...cant wait to shoot it.....hopefully soon so i can shoot it all summer and clear till october.......thats why i wanted to find a good bullet now....i love hunting with the flinter...its my favorite weapon to hunt with now.......i dont bow hunt though...im sure thats fun..i just want to get rid of the truck payment before i buy a bow.....