HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 12 guage v. 20 gauge
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Nomercy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 12 guage v. 20 gauge

I don't mean to brag (akbound), but I do nearly all of my wingshooting, other than waterfouling, with a single shot .410 3"...I own three 12ga's besides all my .410's, and one 20ga SxS for sporting clays and skeet...I get as much game with either gauge, but I get as much game with my .410 as I have with any larger bore, but then again, that's what I grew up shooting...I've had them all from 28ga to 5ga, other than ammo availability, the 16ga is probably the best choice out there.

As far as deer hunting goes, or any other big game hunting, the 12ga rules the domain, the 20ga might do, I don't know, but as far as I'm concerned, the 16 and 12ga's are the big game slug guns.

Mostly, the difference in the 20ga and the 12 for birds is preference or size. Smaller people or older people will have an easier time with the lighter carrying and lighter kicking 20ga, however, it's still got a good spread and a good shot count and density, which also makes it nice for beginners, light recoil with enough stuff to do the job. The 12ga allows a larger spread with the same density, or a greater density in the same area of spread, however, it packs a little more punch and tends to be a bit more to pack as well.

So, do you prefer a easier carrying, easier shooting gun that requires just a little more skill on your part, or a little heavier gun that kicks a bit more that will let you "miss" by a little more?