HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1000sq ft, can i attract deer?
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2004, 07:44 PM
vtbuckrulrss
Fork Horn

Default 1000sq ft, can i attract deer?

ok, here is the scoop, i cleared out a small spot in the woods, about 1000 square feet, it's about all i can reasonably clear without my mom really going nuts on me( 36, and still getting butt chewing from mom, can you believe it?) nice sunlight, not too much or little, moderately dry. this is on a nice trail, too. deer do not hold on the property, just pass through it. since it is in the woods, i don't think i could rototiller it because of the roots, so i have raked it well, and am planning on buying some no-plow. i spread a little 10-10-10 fertilizer on it, just enough to see it. this is in a nice maple grove, fairly sandy soil under the leaf litter. i plan on putting some lime on it at some point, enought to cover the spot( because of this being a low-budget project, i am only spreading small amounts of fertilizer and lime this year to see how it goes) so, given what i stated above, what are my chances of attracting deer in to this spot( planting some wild apple trees there also soon, within a few weeks, more in the fall). all i want is to bring them in, i know this isn't a big enough plot to do a lot of good. also, this is northern vermont, how will no-plow take?any thoughts?