HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Human Activiity on Hunting Grounds.
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2004, 03:00 AM
soarkrebel

Default RE: Human Activiity on Hunting Grounds.

I've known that for a long time. i have seen folks on here that just bash atv use . i use mine all the time. i am always going to my happy hunting ground on my atv.
I have one stand that is in the middle of a 40 acres field it is really my favorite penthouse. people think it's crazy to just drive my atv up to the and climb up. i have killed some of the finest bucks my area has to offer from this stand with my atv parked below. i have had deer come up and smell my atv ,look up in the stand at me within easy bow range if i was hunting with one. why because they see me all year long on it.
just last weekend i was checking the ponderosa and decided to shoot a little at the pond. 3 deer stood up in the field the closest was about 100 yards that had been laying in the grass. she stood there until i left. i guess she laid back down.

I have been on a tractor and just seen loads of deer. i used to joke that i was gonna ride the tractor with my rifle during deer season.
they do get used to your activitys and more important your smell. i think we all smell different and the deer begin to associate our smells with certain people.
my grandfather lived on the ponderosa after he retired. his stand had a wood stove heater in it and he used it. spit tobbacco and made all kinds of noise and always killed large bucks!
dang deer were used to him and didnt associate his sound and smell with danger.

anyway i am going to keep doing it the way i have cause it works for me!