HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Questions about properly sighting my rifles
Old 05-19-2004, 01:40 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Questions about properly sighting my rifles

Sightin a gun in, and getting bad groups are two totally different things. What I do is center up my scope when off the rifle. to do this, I turn the adjustments to their maximums and find out the range I have. So if I got 30MOA range, I go to a extreme and then back off 15MOA to put the adjustment dead center. I do this for both elevation and windage so the crosshairs are centered. A scope will move more accurately if they are centered. In other words, you move your crosshairs 1MOA, you point of impact at 100 yards should be 1.07" over. The closer you get to the extremes, the more erratic they become. I seen burris black diamonds, move actual 2" when moved 1MOA on the crosshairs.

I then mount the scope and use burris signature series rings to align the scope with my bore or collimater (bore sight). I then fine tune at the range. I shoot 3 rounds, and move the center of the group the right amount that I should be on the bullseye. With Leupolds, I have no problem. With other, I have had troubles. When your POI is hitting the bullseye, you can now work on your groups.

If you see your scope acting erraticly to changing windage or elevation or not moving what it should, then start looking at your scope as the culprit.