HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Questions about properly sighting my rifles
Old 05-19-2004, 11:09 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Questions about properly sighting my rifles

First off 1" groups are not required for hunting and quite frankly while many might claim to get them on a regular basis they aren't as easy as may appear. Personally I can get 1" groups most of the time, still there are days I can't and just don't let it bother me anymore. While I goto the range to assure my accuracy I also use the time to get acustom to the mechanics of shooting the particular rifles I may use, so if I am pulling a duper day I will simply go back to basics and pack up prior to frustration setting fully in! The worst thing one can do is chase the bullseye by adjusting your scope, get your scope reasonably dialed in and leave it until you have confidence in your groupings, then make your fine tuning adjustments for hunting. When sighting in a rifle with a new scope I suggest starting off at 25 yards, this will be much easier to hit the paper than say 100 yards, try and get it hitting close to centre and bulls. Once this is done move to 100 yards and continue to fine tune. As for rest sand bags are a good cheap rest, in fact I use legs off of coveralls and jeans then fill with sand of various amounts so I can either add or reduce dependant on the bench or shooter. In bench shooting I like to have both the forearm and butt braced by a sand bag, it just allows you to concentrate on the trigger pull and crosshairs. Don't forget to breath and slow down, if you get off 1 or 2 good shots to other 5 who really cares. I usually shoot 3 shot groups, each time I shoot I look for my bullet hole then reset, after 3 shots i walk down to the target and use a piece of masking tape to cover the bullet holes. If you feel fatigued quit or at the very least take a good break, chating with the other guys at the range can pass time. Ammo selection can be a cause for poor groups, so it is always good to buy a couple different stlyes/brands that you would use for your hunting purposes. The last thing I would suggest is having a good gunsmith look at your trigger pull weight, quite often they come at 6-7lbs from the factory and this can result in opening up ones groups. I would say reduce it to 4-3.5lbs to start and if you need more take it to 3 lbs once use to a lighter trigger. Keeping with the trigger it is important to tell yourself to squeeze not pull or punch the trigger, you want it to be smooth, effortless and come as a suprise really when the gun goes off - this is easier accomplished with a lighter trigger vs heavier, but some who are used to the heavy pull can accomplish the feat as well.

Remember like anything else you will get better with practice, so keep positive and keep at it! It never hurst if possible to enlist a friend who is a shooter to watch you while you shoot, can help point out things you are doing that you can't determine yourself (like flinching, punching the trigger, peeking, not breathing, etc)

Best of luck