HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are they mutually exclusive?
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2004, 12:59 PM
silentassassin
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are they mutually exclusive?

ewolf,

Paying to go where big deer are and then killing them is not how I would measure a really really good hunter. A really really good hunter is the guy who consistently kills P&Y deer in an area where there are low numbers of P&Y deer. Of course that doesnt' make you less of a hunter if you consistently kill them in higher percentage areas, that just makes you fortunate to be able to hunt areasa like that. But, the hunters that I am talking about are consistely killing P&Y deer on public ground in Arkansas which is not exactly known for trophy bucks. I could talk circles around most of these guys in a tech conversation but they have the horns to back up their lack of technical knowledge. One case in point is a guy a hunted with a few times last year. This guy has been absolutely slaying big deer in my area for the last 10 years. He was shooting a PSE dual cam (forget which model) at like 88 lbs the bow has a 6 5/8 braceheight and he is shooting 2215s with it. He is way underspined but had no idea. All he knew was that he could hit with the bow and the shop had set him up so he thought he was shooting the best setup and he was and is slaying deer. He trusted the shop had set him up correctly and knew he could hit with his equipment and the rest of his time he spent figuring out these public land deer he was hunting. This is just an example. I realize that it is possible to be both and I don't really think they are mutually exclusive but I wonder if this is true for other people in other parts of the country. Think about the 5 best hunters that you have ever personally known. Are they or were they "techies"?