HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How can you consider rifle hunting, true hunting?
Old 04-05-2004, 06:01 PM
Hiawatha

Default RE: How can you consider rifle hunting, true hunting?

ORIGINAL: Legacy357

i don't think rifle hunters can consider themselves hunters but more like deer thinners.
I wouldn't go as far as this. Road hunters (guys who drive around in their truck get out and shoot) are not classified as hunters. However rifle hunters are hunters. For my rifle hunts i spend my summers scouting, improving my stands, finding new areas etc. Its not just quite as easy as you make it seem. I don't just go out there and shoot the first buck that comes within range. I like to be pretty selective and it is often very difficult to find what you are looking for. I am also a bowhunter and really enjoy that also however I do not consider myself to be anymore of a hunter because sometimes it is easier than rifle hunting. For instance the archery elk season here is at a much better time than the rifle season. The elk are not being pressured and are bugling great. I worked alot harder for my bull in 2002 with my rifle than I had to in 2003 with my bow. I love both methods but I don't think you can assume bowhunters are more knowledgable and overall better hunters. JMO