HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ok, the bass are now bedding...Have tips on how to catch 'em?
Old 03-17-2004, 08:01 AM
NY Bowhunter
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Ok, the bass are now bedding...Have tips on how to catch 'em?

Bass on the beds now arn't even close to spawning. Around here they will sometimes move to bedding areas as to "reserve" that area, but they don't spawn until late April early May.
Yes but nonetheless they are moving their with the sole purpose of the act of spawning. The males will move in to prepare the nest it's inevitable that the females will soon be following. It's a personal choice anyway. I think there's a big difference between southern and northern states in regards to fishing for bass on the beds. I think more damage will be done in Northern states then down south where they seem to strive and make it through the spawning session every year with a healthy population. Nature has a way of balancing itself anyway.
As for me as tempting as it is. I'll wait until they move off. Contrary to popular belief though, females are difficult to catch when they are spawning. The males especially the little dudes are the aggressors and the ones that will whack whatever swims by them.