HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Jeff Cooper
Thread: Jeff Cooper
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2004, 08:08 AM
bigcountry

Default Jeff Cooper

I have read and enjoyed Jeff Coopers writings for a long time. I appreciate what he has done for the shooting sports. I appreciate what he has done for this country. But for the life of me, I don't understand his mentality. Coopers mentality is, if its slow and big, its good, if its super fast and sleek, its bad. I have butchered more animals than I could ever count. Every animal I harvested, I investigate the wound and damage the bullet caused. And from my 20 short years of investigated(compared to his 50 or so), I have came to one conclusion. Speed kills. Maybe its my (once bitten twice shy) with my muzzleloader experience. I did lose two deer in the last 5 years with good hits with a muzzleloader. But with a slug gun or muzzleloader, I see a big entrance and exit hole, but just don't see the lungs melted and major trama to vital organs around the impact. But with a 308 or a 270 shot at 50 yards, I see all kinds of damage. And if I do my part, I never lose an animal. I just don't understand his conclusions about killing power. Maybe things are different on human combat situations. I hope I never have to kill someone to find out, but for game, and 100 yards, I don't know why he feels the way he does.