HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NEWLY PURCHASED RUGER BLACKHAWK. NEED ADVISE
Old 02-29-2004, 09:37 AM
Nomercy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NEWLY PURCHASED RUGER BLACKHAWK. NEED ADVISE

The superblackhawk is the same gun as what you purchased, sized up a little, with a squarebacked trigger guard, and chambered to a .44mag-only differences (It seems like they're offering the rounded "blackhawk" trigger guard on the SBH's now too, but I'm not certain if that's a Ruger option, or a distributer option).

The Redhawk and Super redhawks are double actions, meaning pulling the trigger does two actions, cocks the hammer/cycles the cylinder, and releases the sear, i.e. it fires everytime you pull the trigger, you don't have to cock it in between times. If I recall correctly, the redhawk is chambered in rounds from .357mag-.45colt, and the Super RH is .454cassul and .480Ruger, they're a little bigger and different options I think.

The blackhawk/SBH are bombproof, the redhawk/SRH are as well, although I'm a firm believer that the RH/SRH are bound to be more prone to wear and malfunction, just because they have more moving parts, not due to any true weakness of the gun itself, although to wear out either you'd have to shoot some pretty stout loads for a LONG time.

You made a great purchase, at a great price, even for a used gun, that's a good price.

Is it a flat-top 3screw or new model? The frame will have three screws intead of two pins if it is, if it's the 3screw, does it have the "upgrade" installed already? (transfer bar system)