HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NEWLY PURCHASED RUGER BLACKHAWK. NEED ADVISE
Old 02-29-2004, 09:06 AM
Ruger-Redhawk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NEWLY PURCHASED RUGER BLACKHAWK. NEED ADVISE

ORIGINAL: Huntsalotey

I recently purchased a Ruger New model Blackhawk in .357mag. caliber. I was wanting a good , rock solid handgun to do some hunting with and for security. I know i could have gotten a bigger caliber for hunting, but i need this gun to fit the bill in about 2 or 3 areas and this one seems to do it. It looks very clean and seeems tight. I am happy.
I don't know however, about the other types Super Blackhawk, REd hawks , etc, where does the one I just purchased fit in this kind of revolvers line? Is there many upgrades. Do people who have had the New model blackhawk like them? What is the difference between a Ruger new model, as opposed to a Ruger old model Blackhawk?

Generally are they rock solid guns that can be counted on and get the job done. All models included. Are they as rock solid as we have heard so many say as opposed to others?????I got it for 275.00 is that a good price?????

Forgot to let you know that the model one that I purchased has the flattop on it. Does this add to its features?

Does anyone know the link to the Ruger Forums?
Huntsalotey, I can answer several of your questions.The difference in the Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk is the SBH is a 44 mag.The Redhawk's and Super RH's are double action where the BKH's and SBH are single action. They are a very strong gun.Very sound as you say.Speer reloading manuals has a special section for loads to be used only in the Ruger's or T/C's The new models were made after 1973, prior to that the now called Old Models were made. The new models have a transfer Bar system where the Old Models didn't. The Old models are sought after by Ruger collectors.In the Old Models it was recommended to carry on a empty chamber which goes for all the old single actions including Colts.The new models are safe to carry with all 6 rounds loaded.I have a link for a Ruger Site. Sometimes it takes time to open it. www.rugerforum.com
275.00 was a fair price if it's in good condition. Apparently yours doesn't have the extra cylinder(convertible) for the 9mm?For self denfense a double action would have been a better choice. Hopefully you'll never need it for self denfense.Ruger used to make the Redhawks in 357 mag & 41 mag which were discontinued some years back.They were very heavy for a 357 mag.
The Rugerforum has allot of knowledgeable Ruger people . I visit it daily. I'm Ruger Redhawk on there.If you have more Ruger questions that would be the site to ask.I hope I answered most of your questions.As far as upgrades,there aren't any. The only up grade that wouldn't concern you would be converting the Old Model to the Transfer Bar system. I strongly advise against that for collection purposes.Ruger will return the original parts.I personally won't take that chance.

Ruger Redhawk