HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How does a pheasent work????
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2004, 04:43 PM
sunset

Default RE: How does a pheasent work????

You will need a dog with a good nose, and retrieving capabilities.
A guide would be nice if it is your first time out.
Go into grassy areas with food resources for the pheasants. This way you will be more likely to get one. They need cover like tall grass, and food like small grain plants.
Walk slowly with your dog. Your dog will find the birds for you. They can hide right under your feet. When the dog has found the bird (depending on the dogs breeding, may point, may flush) he may flush it, or you may flush it.
It pops up like a helicopter, then takes off horizontally, usually. They are also notorious for running. The dog should hold the bird so it doesn't run. But, they do run.
You'll hear a flush of wings and it won't move so fast that you can't hit it. Hungarian partridge and quail are fast and pop up quicker than pheasants.

It is a rush!!!

If you are going onto a preserve, it is about the same. They should supply a guide and dog for you. They may charge extra, if they don't, the guide will need tipped, if he/she does a nice job for you.

I hope I have answered some of your questions. Feel free to ask more if I didn't cover what you wanted to know.