HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - gobbler off the roost
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2004, 09:09 AM
Bobgobble2
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: gobbler off the roost

Through the course of the season if you hunt alot this henned up situation is going to come about,wether on the roost or on the ground!Heres a few things I do to help prepare myself for this situation for the upcoming season and the next days hunt!#1.GB's statement of preseason scouting can help immensley here!Hens are patternable off the roost heading to feeding areas and nesting areas and the gobblers will be right behind them!Consequently setting up on these travel routes to and from these areas and in these areas can serve well here!Obviously to do this takes time spent in the woods with the birds, and the ability to be patient listening and looking,without bumping the birds!I know alot of fellas just dont have the time and with this said I have killed many a gobbler by actually being patient during season and instead of barreling in on the birds during the hunt used the hunt as more of a scouting trip setting up the next days hunt!#2.Another thing I do if I know I'm dealing with a flock situation is set-up tight to the roost!A gobbler even with hens will come take a peek often times if he doesn't neccassarily have to leave his hens!#3.Concentrate on the hens.In otherwords instead of getting all caught up in the gobblers responses to your turkey talk look to fire-up the hens with your turkey talk and start a conversation with them!All it takes is one hen to bring a gobbler or even an entire flock into your set-up!If she comes he will too!I cant tell you how many times I've had one hen that was interested in me bring the whole flock with her to some ole gobblers demise!#4.Wait em out!The guys have already touched on this but just having the patience to stay close to the roost area and not walking around your hunting ground can have positive results!The gobbler could return looking for hens and I have had other gobblers come into the area as a result of all the turkey talk earlier that morning!Although its not always the case,I'm a firm believer that gobblers will attract gobblers this time of year for a # of reasons to lengthy to get into,but I can vouch for hanging around the roost area is a great idea in small areas to hunt!#5.This is somewhat a last resort for me but"challenging that gobbler"can work!On occasion a shaker tube,and even a mock fight with aggressive putts and purrs can stimulate a harem birds senses to get invovled!I always add hen calls to this situation also and in some cases in the past have had gobblers respond with swift jealousy and excitement,and even hens too!!Hope it helps....Bob