HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - timber cutting and hunting season next year
Old 02-03-2004, 01:52 AM
Gobbling Buck
Typical Buck

Default RE: timber cutting and hunting season next year

I agree with what's already been said.........It will probably help your hunting for the next 5 or 6 years especially. I'd like to add this for thought though. The deer will change there patterns somewhat. After the land has been cut over, they will use the layout of the land to there advantage and for cover. Keep in mind when planting fields or food plots, that deer like the edges of cover. They will move on the edges of the HW's and planted pines for cover. Plant in areas near the HW's and the deer won't have that far to move out of cover to get to your food source. This will help you until the pines get tall then they will bed more in the pines. The HW's for the next few years will serve as travel corridors and offer cover and staging areas to go to the food plots. Keep this in mind if your not seeing deer in the food plots during daylight hours. After the pines get taller, the deer will bed in them, but they will continue to move on the edges of the HW's and pines.

Just went back and reread your post. I don't know that any of this will help you in this particular scenerio (applies more to clear cuts), but I'll leave it just the same. Hope you can use some of the info. Are they going to replant the mini clear cuts in pines? If so, talk to the land owner before making any food plots. Anyway, the cutting of the timber should help. Good luck and happy hunting.-GB