HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New pistol regs/fees in NY
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2004, 11:44 AM
doughboysigep
Nontypical Buck

Default New pistol regs/fees in NY

Well, has everyone heard about this new whammy the state is trying to pull?? I heard last nite on the local news that NYS, in its infinite wisdom, wants to put additional fees on pistol permitting AND make it manditory to renew & pay for your pistol permit every 5 years!
I am not postive on the actual amount and increases, but I do remember something like $25/ammendment (currently, i pay $3 for up to 3 guns on an ammendment) and the news may have even said that the renewals would be in excess of $100. I don't know about you but, to me, that stinks.
I have no problems with registering my pistols or having to go through a NICS check (shouldn't bother any non-criminals?) but when they start jacking fees and trying to price a permit out of range, that's a bit too much.
The other jist to the story ws that this was going to be a State thing, whereas now it is up to individual counties to regulate the permits. They try and justify it by saying it will help keep guns out of the wrong peoples hands. Yeh right, simple fact the criminals are always going to have guns. What helps keep crime down (to some degree) is that they know that private citizens may have a bigger gun or more ammo . Go ask some of the boys down in Texas.

Something to think about & complain about. I hope this doesn't come to fruition and the beaurocrats see the errors of their ways.