HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Late DE Shotgun Season
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2004, 05:33 AM
Duckmastor2

Default RE: Late DE Shotgun Season

Good Job DJ! Dont be sorry telling me you got one. I like hearing about people getting deer. Esp nice ones!

I stayed home MLK day. After what I saw saturday morning, I just couldnt get up for it. It seems very few deer are using the farm I hunt. There was no sign that deer were hitting the corn I put out. I even put a small pile out in the field, right on the trail they'd used earlier in the year. The squirrels dont venture out that far in fear of being snatched up by hawks, owls etc. So, only larger animals would hit that. Well, it didnt look like it'd been hardly touched. With this cold and lack of food around, the deer should have gobbled it up if they were passing through on a regular basis.

I wasnt about to go down at noon to stand in line for a lottery for a public stand knowing that they wouldnt move until last light, if at all. Next year I need to ask around and see if I can access to at least one more private spot. Just to keep the old options open. I do plan on hiking down the old lighthouse rd like you suggested in the spring. Thats a large plot of land thats open during all seasons with no lottery. Just a hell of a drag though if you get one.

As long as it doesnt rain, Im definately going Saturday afternoon. Maybe my luck will change...... but I doubt it