HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Young Son bags is 2nd of the season
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2003, 07:22 AM
Georgetownboys

Default Young Son bags is 2nd of the season

Well. . .he got another one Friday afternoon, a nice doe. That's 2 now for this new young hunter, 8 pt. during youth opening weekend and now this nice Doe. Hoped to have the Buck mounted by his birthday at month end, but the taxedermist is a bit backed up right now.

Must admit that when things are slow his snorin is a bit much but we have worked around that one. Took his buck at about 70yards, after a patient afternoon of watching a number of lessor bucks come and go. Then we waited little bit for this buck to present only the best possible shot for him, straight broadside, double lung. He hit about 3 or 4 inches from a perfect shot. I think he is still pullin a bit hard on the trigger and that brings him a little to the right.

The Doe was a simliar story, we saw 5 or 6 in full flight during our walk from the truck to the blind about 3:00, thought that was gonna make this a slow afternoon. Wind was not in the best direction for the blind we picked. We get set up, load his .260 with his lucky 120gr. balistic tip he picked out. 2 does walk in behind us about 3:45 and got wind of us, change course and took flight. A half hour later 3 does and a button came to us from the other direction and proceed to hang around for a while. The button had a pretty bad limp but cound see no external reason. He was just to small to burn his second buck tag on, already used my two, a big 4X4 and a nice 4X6, both nice by hill country standards. So we wait as long as a 6 year can stand it, 15/20 minutes to see if a buck that I have seen once or twice at this blind is gonna show. No such luck and the boy is ready to shoot. He wins, I get him set up on my lap for added height to get a good angle out the blind window. Get hearing protection on etc. He gets all set up then we wait for a few minutes for the biggest of the 3 does to give us that best broadside shot. Just when we turn off the saftey this girl moves a few yards. We regroup put our heads down again and now she is broadside. I wisper him a few final words, like do you have a full feild view are the cross hairs right on and steady, after a few yes dads I give the OK to shoot and about 2 seconds later he lets fly. At first I thought he missed, all 4 headed down the trail and stopped about 30 yards later. They looked around the others started off again, but she was kind of behind some brush. I think she fell over but could not see her. We waited a few minutes, all he could stand and then headed to where we shot her. We think we know where she is but we still need to find sign of a hit and practice tracking. We found nothing. . . .no blood, hair. . . .zip. We looked for 5 minutes or so then start walking still looking for sign in the direction they went. . .nothing, not a drop. Well just where we thought there she is. I look to see why we have no blod and it seems the boy pulled bit on the trigger, once again his shot, 110yards this time was about 5 inches to the right further back than we would like. So this deer must have been quartered away just a little bit. Entered just behind the diaphram and exited forward about 4 inches on the other side. A single lung shot, all the blood stayed inside. We load her up and get her hung and it starts to rain. I good time to head home rather than stay the night and deal with the mud.

Next week his big brother goes agian and hopfully gets his second deer as well for his first season too.