HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Question for WV hunters...
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2003, 06:05 AM
X-LINY
Spike

Default RE: Question for WV hunters...

Pro-Line,

I agree with you 100%!! If you can't see that the deer is due to the light situation, DON'T SHOOT IT!!

This 1/2 before sunrise and 1/2 after sunset is crazy. There is no way to tell what the animal is.

I moved here from Long Island, NY in May of 2000. All that was on my property were Doe's. It took 3 years to finally see bucks here. I now have more scraps and rubs then I can dream of.

I live in Elizabeth, and passed on 3 button bucks and 2-6" or so Spikes. Last year I had a Spike on the property that turned into a nice 7-point that I even passed by to let him go another year or so, it nobody takes him out.

All that I have taken here on my property since 2000, were 1 doe per year, up until this season, I got a nice 8-point that was chasing the does. The 7-point and the other spikes are still here along with all the button bucks that I keep track of.

I guess if the WV logic is, once a spike always a spike, the same logic for the button bucks. It must be some kind of MACHO thing in WV that you have to kill a buck.

Here is a little food for though. Just before firearm season, we had a flood here in Elizabeth that flooded the bottom field and my bridge access. Some one was on my POSTED PROPERY and shot a spike. The spike was left there, with the broadhead and broken shaft. I had no way of getting it out. The temps that day were in the upper 30's and we had a heavy frost that night.

The following morning I had access to retrieve the downed deer. The S.O.B. who calls him or herself an ethical bowhunter and sportsman, capped the deer took the broadhead, and left the rest of the carcass to rot.

Oh, did I mention the deer only had 2 1/2" spikes??

X-LINY