HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - any tips for hunting on cold windy days?
Old 12-11-2003, 05:05 PM
uncle matt
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: any tips for hunting on cold windy days?

I believe that if the cold front is recent or moving in, then you will see more activity (movement in the late afternoon). If it's just getting colder and colder as winter is truly setting in, then there will probobly be some activity in the mornings too, but not as much as afternoons.

I would look for the pretty used lookin trails from field edges into woods where they might be bedding. I would get in the woods maybe 50 yards or so and hunker down in a natural groundblind such as the fork of a large deadfall or where a deadfall dropped into a thicket. Get a seat set up and clear back anything on ground that will make noise if you have to move around. You might want to take your clippers and trim a couple shooter lanes or atleast cut back some of the problem looking stuff.

Then, and this is the most important part, GET YOURSELF COMFORTABLE IN A NICE SLEEPING BAG! If you can remain warm and comfy, you will be better able to stay STILL. I like to use those disposable heater packs-a little duct tape to stick em to your underwears and I find myself opening up clothing frequently to let a little heat out. And them deer will probobly show up on the pretty much later during the afternoon.

If I was out there and comfortable-I would unload my gun at dusk and sit it out for a spell to see what might be ambling by dark. If you can see where these late deer are coming from, you can adjust your positioning to be in a better suited ambush point for whacking 'em during legal hours.

Good luck Gobbler. Go whack ya one and have a nice holiday season!

Uncle Matt (in IL)........eating deer sausage