HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rattling
Thread: Rattling
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2003, 02:16 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rattling

Start out with a short duration & lower intensity rattle sequence about 30 sec, then wait 20 minutes pick up the intensity and duration to about 45-60 sec and wait 20 minutes...continue with the peak intensity and duration. I never rattle one particular location more than 2-3 hours and I chose to rattle between 10-3, most of the deer i have rattled out are in the noon time frame. I also rustle leaves, rub trees(in your case you'll need a heavy tree branch), pound on the ground at the end(simulate a fleeing deer) and call (I use grunts). In between the rattling session some times I grunt(tending style). Always watch and be prepared to shoot out the backdoor, bucks will often circle downwind. The use of doe or buck scent can help as well.

Most important thing to rattling is setting up in a good position to begin with where deer feel safe to come out. I like to rattle close to beding areas or pick areas in transition routes(in cover funnels, draws, rublines, ridges, meadows,etc) that bucks travel in search of love.